Age: 58 Years
Wife: Vini Mahajan
Education: A Master’s Degree In Police Administration
|Profession||Civil Servant (IPS Officer)|
|Famous For||Being the chief of National Investigation Agency|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 165 cm
in meters– 1.65 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 5”
|Service||Indian Police Service (IPS)|
|Awards & Honours||• In June 1992, Dinkar Gupta was decorated with Police Medal by the President of India for the display of exceptional courage, conspicuous gallantry, and devotion to duty of a high order as ASP during an encounter with the terrorists in April 1992; he became one of the youngest police officers to be decorated with a gallantry medal.
• In June 1994, he was again decorated with Police Medal by the President of India for his distinguished service as the SSP Hoshiarpur.
• He has also been awarded the Police Medal by the President of India for his Meritorious Services.
• In 2010, on the occasion of Independence Day, Dinkar was honoured with the Presidents Police Medal by the Prime Minister of India for his distinguished service.
|Date of Birth||March, 1964|
|Age (as of 2022)||58 Years|
|Educational Qualification||A Master’s Degree in Police Administration The Telegraph|
|Controversy||In February 2020, Dinkar Gupta was slammed by the Shiromani Akali Dal and Aam Aadmi Party for his uncouth Statements on the Kartarpur corridor. According to the senior SAD leader Bikram Singh Majithia, Gupta while talking to a reporter of a national daily said that
“Kartarpur offers a potential that you send somebody in the morning as an ordinary chap and by evening he comes back as trained terrorist actually. You are there for six hours, you can be taken to a firing range, you can be taught to make an IED”
The parties condemned his statements and demanded that he be sacked. Later, Gupta while talking to a media person said that he was being misunderstood or wilfully misconstrued as his remarks strictly pertained the safety and security of Punjab. Daily Hunt
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||September, 1989|
|Wife/Spouse||Vini Mahajan (1987-batch IAS Officer)|
Son– Azeez Gupta (Founder of Rocket Learning)
Daughter– Namya Mahajan
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 2, 25,000 per month (as of 2022) 7th Pay Commission News|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Dinkar Gupta
- Dinkar Gupta is an Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of the 1987 batch of the Punjab cadre. He was appointed as the Director-General of the National Investigation Agency (NIA), the primary counter-terrorist task force of India, on 23 June 2022. Formerly, he was serving as the Director-General of Police (DGP) of the Government of Punjab.
- Dinkar’s wife, Vini Mahajan, is a 1987-batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of the Punjab cadre. Vini is the first women chief secretary of Punjab. As of 2022, Vini is appointed as the Secretary of the Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- Dinkar’s father-in-law, BB Mahajan, was also a civil servant. He was an IAS officer of the Punjab cadre.
- Dinkar began his career as an IPS officer in 1987. From January 1992 to January 1999, Dinkar served as the Chief of Police (SSP) of Ludhiana, Jalandhar and Hoshiarpur districts. He served as the Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) of Jalandhar Range and Ludhiana Range till 2004.
- Later, he also served as the Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) of Counter-Intelligence and DIG of Intelligence, Punjab, which involved his direct supervision of the Punjab State Intelligence Wing, State Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS), and Organized Crime Control Unit (OCCU).
- An experienced and distinguished officer, Dinkar was subsequently deputed with the central government for eight years, i.e., from June 2004 to July 2012. While working for the central government, he held several crucial assignments. During that span, he was also appointed as the head of the Intelligence Bureau unit which looked after the security of VVIPs.
- Thereafter, he served as the Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) of Law and Order (2012-2015) and ADGP Security (2012-2015).
- Meanwhile, Dinkar also served as the ADGP Traffic (2013-14) and ADGP Provisioning and Modernization (2014-15).
- From 2015 to 2017, he was appointed as the Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) of Administration and Community Policing.
Dinkar Gupta awarding a police official
- Dinkar took over as the Punjab Police Chief (Director General of Punjab Police) in February 2019, superseding five other officers; two of the officers even fought a long battle against him, however, they could not succeed. While serving as the Director-General of Punjab Police, Gupta refurbished the training module in order to make the Punjab Police a tech-savvy force. He served the post for around two years and seven months.
Dinkar Gupta being appointed as the DGP of Punjab
- In 2021, after Charanjit Singh Channi replaced Captain (retd.) Amarinder Singh as the Chief Minister of Punjab, Dinkar was removed as the Punjab DGP and posted as the Chairman of the Punjab Police Housing Corporation. Thereafter, he requested for a central deputation.
Dinkar Gupta during a press conference
- Dinkar was replaced by Iqbal Preet Singh Sahota as the chairman of Punjab Police Housing Corporation (PPHC).
- After being on the offer list for central deputation for around a year, Gupta was appointed as the Director-General of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) on 23 June 2022. He replaced CRPF DG Kuldiep Singh, who was holding an additional charge as DG, NIA, since the former NIA chief Y C Modi retired on 31 May 2021. As per the ACC order, Gupta will hold the post till 31 March 2024, the date of his superannuation, or until further orders, whichever is earlier. The appointment letter issued by the Department of Personnel & Training (DoPT) read,
The Appointments Commitee of the Cabinet has approved the proposal of the Ministry of Home Affaris for the appointment of Shri Dinkar Gupta, IPS (PB: 87) as Director General, National Investigative Agency in Level-17 of the post and up to 31.03.2024 i.e. date of his superannuation or till further orders whichever takes place earlier.”
The appointment letter of Dinkar Gupta
- Dinkar Gupta and his wife, Vini Mahajan earned the epithet ‘power couple’ during Captain Amrinder Singh’s tenure as the Chief Minister of Punjab as they both headed the topmost administrative and police posts in the state; during that time, Dinkar was appointed as the Director-General of Police (DGP) of Punjab and Vini served as the chief secretary of Punjab.
- Dinkar played a major role in smashing the narco-terrorism network in Punjab and served the state during the peak of militancy in Punjab; Reportedly, he was the first one to point out the threat posed by drones from across the border.
- He represented India at a conference on International Terrorism in 1996. The conference was organised by The International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL).
- In 1999, Gupta was awarded the British Chevening Gurukul Scholarship by the British Council at the London School of Economics, London.
- He was also named the Executive-in-Residence at the School of International Service, American University, Washington DC, USA, in 2000-2001.
- In January 2001, Dinked was invited by the University of America to design and teach a course titled Governments under Siege: Understanding Terrorism and Terrorists to graduate students.
- He has been a visiting professor at George Washington University, Washington DC, USA.
|↑3||7th Pay Commission News|