Father: Sahib Singh
Age: 26 Years
|Known for||Winning a bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games (2022)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 165 cm
in meters– 1.65 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 71 kg
in pounds– 156 lbs
|Coach||Paramjeet Sharma (Commonwealth Games weight lifting champion in 1990)|
|Awards||• 2021: She won a Best Lifter trophy in senior national championships held at NIS Patiala|
• 2017: 3rd Women Inter-State National Weightlifting Championship, Kolkata
• 2021: Senior National Weight Lifting Championship, Patiala
• 2022: Senior Nationals Championship in the women’s 71 kg category, Orissa
• 2022: Commonwealth Games in women’s 71 kg category, Birmingham
|Date of Birth||14 October 1996|
|Age (as of 2022)||26 Years|
|Birthplace||Mehas Village in Patiala, Punjab|
|Hometown||Mehas Village, Patiala, Punjab|
|School||Nabha’s Government Girls School, Punjab|
|College/University||SGTB Khalsa College, Anandpur Sahib, Punjab|
|Relationships & More|
Father– Sahib Singh (Farmer)
Mother– Kuldeep Kaur
|Siblings||Brother– Pritpal Singh (Clerk)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Harjinder Kaur
- Harjinder Kaur is an Indian weightlifter, who participates in the 70 kg women’s category. On 1 August 2022, she won a bronze model in Weightlifting 71 kg category at the Commonwealth Games 2022.
- She was fascinated by sports since childhood. In her school days, she used to play Kabaddi, a contact team sport.
- Then, during her college, she was allocated to the College Kabaddi squad by her coach Surinder Singh. Subsequently, she joined the sports wing at Punjabi University, Patiala where her skills were noticed by the coach and 1990 Commonwealth Games weight lifting champion (69kg) Paramjeet Sharma.
- Paramjeet Sharma advised her to participate in tug-of-war games. She participated in tug-of-war games and performed well in the game, after which her coach observed her strength and further insisted her to try weightlifting. In an interview, Paramjeet Sharma talked about this and said,
I was surprised at how much power she had as a teenager when we put her into the tug of war teams. She undertook some national tours. It took some time to convince her to shift to weightlifting. There were times when she would return to her village and did not show too much of interest in weightlifting. But she would always return. Today I can say it was the right decision to make her a weightlifter.”
- In 2016, she started practising weightlifting with the assistance of coach Pramjeet Sharma.
Harjinder Kaur during her practice sessions
- Harjinder Kaur is the winner of several medals like the 3rd Women Inter-State Senior National Weightlifting Competition, 35th Women Senior National Weightlifting Championship, and senior Nationals Competitions in Orissa.
Harjinder Kaur (middle) at Senior Nationals Championship, Orissa
- In 2021, she started her further training at National Camp, Patiala.
- Harjinder Kaur’s family condition was not good enough to provide her requirements as per the game, so her coach Paramjeet Sharma assisted her during her training period. In an interview, she talked about this and said,
When I started off in 2016, I did not get any financial support from my family, but I have been morally supported by my family. My coach, Paramjeet Sharma, helped me out a lot in those days and he had the faith that I would be bringing a medal today, and his faith, I think, won me my medal.”
- In an interview, Harjinder Kaur said that Mirabai Chanu is her favourite weightlifter. She further shared that she wants to take a selfie with Mirabai Chanu after winning a medal at Commonwealth Games 2022.
- In 2022, after Harjinder won a medal at CWG 2022, Punjab’s Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann congratulated her and announced a cash prize of Rs 40 lakh for her. Harjinder was also congratulated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi through a Twitter post. Deccan Herald
Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Tweet
- In an interview, Harjinder talked about her CWG 2022 and shared she is not satisfied with her performance; however, she is happy about winning a medal. She quoted,
I was confident that I will get a medal. Though I am not happy with my performance but I am happy that I won a medal. Next, I will focus on Asian Championship Republic World