Father: Pralab Chandra Halder
|Real name/Full name||Prashanta Kumar Halder The Daily Star|
|Nickname(s)||Moru The Daily Star|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Age (as of 2022)||Not Available|
|School||Dighirjan High School|
|College/University||• Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
• Institute of Business Administration, Dhaka University
|Educational Qualification||MBA Degree|
|Controversies||• He scammed various financial institutions in Bangladesh and embezzled about 426 Crore BTD with the help of his associates. He was finally arrested on 14 May 2022 in West Bengal, India. Dhaka Tribune|
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Avantika Baral
• Nahida Runai
Father– Pralab Chandra Halder (Tailor)
Mother– Lilabati Halder (School teacher)
• Pijush Halder (Businessman)
• Pranesh Halder (Businessman)
Some Lesser Known Facts About P.K. Halder
- P.K. Halder is a banker who embezzled over 426 Crore BTD from various financial institutions in Bangladesh. He held leading positions in various financial institutions and misused his authority for money laundering and stealing a hefty amount of money.
- P.K. Halder was from a middle-class family and lived in a small village in his childhood. He was physically assaulted in childhood regarding a matter of his school’s finances.
- After completing his education, he began his career as an executive employee in an organisation. In 2008, P.K. Halder was promoted to the position of Deputy Manager at the Industrial and Infrastructure Development Finance Company Limited (IDFCL). In the following year, he became the M.D. of Reliance Finance Limited. He was also the owner of Aziz Fibre Jute Control, Northern Jute Manufacturing Company Ltd., Simtex Industries, and Rahman Chemicals. His cousin Amitabh Adhikari also joined Halder’s business after leaving his Bangladesh Civil Service job.
- This was followed by forming his own company in Canada on 3 July 2014 and this company was named P&L Hal Holding. After this, he became the Managing Director of NRB Global Bank which is now known as the Global Islami Bank.
- Halder also owned HAL international and Swapan Kumar Mistri, a close associate of Halder was a director of this company. Mistri was also working as a director of International Leasing and Financial Services Limited. Another person involved in the money scam was the wife of Mistri who was the chairperson of MTB Limited. The brother of Swapan Kumar Mistri named Uttam Kumar Mistri was also an associate of Halder and a loan of 800 Million Takas was taken by his wife Atoshi Mridha from International Leasing and Financial Services Ltd. for a fake company named Kolasin. The Daily Star
- From 2015 to 2019, Amitav Adhikari, the cousin of P.K. Halder served as the director of People’s Leasing and Financial Services Limited. During that time a former colleague of Halder, Uzzal Kumar Nandi worked as the Chairperson of People’s Leasing and Finacial Service Limited. With the help of these two associates, Halder stole Millions of Takas from People’s Leasing and Financial Services Limited.
- After this fraud, Halder was appointed as the chairperson of People’s Leasing and Financial Services Limited.
- The scam was suspected in 2019 and an investigation against Halder was commenced. During that time multiple raids were made on illegal casinos in Dhaka to dig for the truth.
- In 2020, the Bangladesh Bank noted embezzlement of 15 Billion Taka from International Leasing and Financial Services Ltd. This was followed by 22 Billion Takas from FAS Finance and Investment Ltd. Third embezzlement was 30 Billion Takas from the People’s Leasing & Financial Services Limited. Another company Reliance Finance Ltd. suffered from the embezzlement of 25 Billion Takas. Dhaka Tribune
- After all these revelations, the Anti Corruption Commission and the Bangladesh Financial Intelligence Unit started investigating the matter in depth. Halder eloped from Bangladesh in March 2020 and entered the border of India an hour before the enforcement of the travel ban on him. He was also a Canadian citizen and went to Canada for some time.
- In December 2020, the Anti Corruption Commission seized all his property in Bangladesh. His associate NI Khan was also banned from leaving Bangladesh in January 2021. Later, this order was revoked due to some reasons. The Anti-Corruption Commission called 14 people to their office for investigation. These people were closely associated with Halder and were called for interrogating about the money laundering case.
Three associates of P.K. Halder arrested in 2021
- In March 2021, Halder’s associate Ujjwal Kumar gave a statement to Atiqul Islam, the Magistrate of Dhaka Metropolitan. He mentioned about the two girlfriends of P.K. Halder named Nahida Runai and Avantika Baral. He revealed that all the associates of Halder addressed Runai as their Big Apa and Avantika as their Little Apa. He spoke about the two and said,
PK Haldar’s two girlfriends, Avantika Baral and Nahida Runai. He has traveled to Singapore and Thailand 20 to 25 times separately with these two. There was great competition between the two to get PK Haldar’s company.” TricksFast
Abantika Baral arrested by Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) in 2021
He also told the magistrate that Halder used to spend time with each of them separately at several clubs in Dhaka. After completing the interrogation with Ujjwal, the ACC investigation team stated
PK Haldar’s relationship with Runai and Avantika was like that of a husband and wife. And Runai and Avantika’s relationship was like Satin’s. There was also fierce competition between the two for overseas travel. Once, PK secretly went on a pleasure trip to Singapore with Avantika. When Runai learned of the matter, several people said that PK had suffered physical abuse. Apart from this, Runai attacked PK several times because of his closeness to Avantika.’ TricksFast)
- On 5 April 2021, the owner of Clewiston Foods and Accommodation named Abdul Alim sued Halder for committing a loan fraud for establishing the Radisson Blue hotel. After suing Halder, Alim stated that in 2014, Halder demanded a majority of stakeholding in his company to approve his loan.
- Pritish Kumar Sarker, the managing director of FAS Finance and Investment Ltd. was also a close associate of Halder and the Bank of Bangladesh prevented him from leaving Bangladesh. After this, Halder was ordered to return back to Bangladesh as per the court orders. In November 2021, charges were filed against Halder and his associates including Pritish Kumar Halder by The Anti Corruption Commission of Bangladesh.
In May 2022, Indian officials tracked and arrested P.K. Halder. He was found at Ashoknagar in North 24 Parganas, West Bengal, India.
https://starsunfolded.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/P.K.-Halder-arrested-in-India-in-May-2022-300×201.jpg 300w” sizes=”(max-width: 539px) 100vw, 539px” />
P.K. Halder arrested in India in May 2022
In India, he stayed hiding his identity by the name of Shibshankar Halder. He possessed passports of three countries i.e. Bangladesh, India, and Grenada. ((Dhaka Tribune
|↑1, ↑2||The Daily Star|
|↑4||The Daily Star|