Age: 32 Years
Hometown: Bandra West, Mumbai
Education: MA In Industrial Psychology
|Other Name||Rani KoHEnur or Rani Ko-He-Nur Vogue|
|Nickname||Sushi YouTube- Sushant Divgikar|
|Profession(s)||Model, Actor, Singer, Industrial Psychologist, and Beauty Pageant Director|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 178 cm
in meters– 1.78 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 10”
|Debut||Single: Diamond (2020)|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• 2018: GQ’s 50 Most Influential Young Indians
• 2019: Community Leadership Award by India HIV/AIDS Alliance for groundbreaking excellence and being a voice nationally and internationally for the LGBTQIA+
|Date of Birth||3 July 1990 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||32 Years|
|Birthplace||Bandra West, Mumbai|
|Preferred Pronouns||He, She, They|
|Hometown||Bandra West, Mumbai|
|School||Arya Vidya Mandir, Mumbai|
|College/University||• Usha Pravin Gandhi College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Mumbai
• Mithibai College of Arts, Chauhan Institute of Science & Amruthben Jivanlal College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai
• Harkisan Mehta Institute, Mumbai
|Educational Qualification||• A course in advertising/PR from Usha Pravin Gandhi College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Mumbai
• Master of Arts in Industrial/Organizational Psychology from Mithibai College of Arts, Chauhan Institute of Science & Amruthben Jivanlal College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai
• A course in advertising from Harkisan Mehta Institute, Mumbai Facebook- Sushant Divgikar
|Ethnicity||Goan Konkani The Voice of Fashion|
|Tattoo||On his left chest|
|Relationships & More|
|Gender & Sexual Orientation||Gender Fluid Beauty Pageants|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||He had three boyfriends, out of which one was a South African businessman. Hauterrfly The Times of India|
Father– Pradeep Krishnarao Divgikar (retired Assistant Commissioner, Indian Customs and Central Excise and former President of the Greater Mumbai Amateur Aquatics Association)
Mother– Bharati Rao Divgikar (retired manager of a Japanese bank and runs an NGO)
|Siblings||Brother– Karan Divgikar (elder; works at Qatar Airways)|
|Drag Queen||Trixie Mattel|
|Song||Lag Jaa Gale from Woh Kaun Thi? (1964)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sushant Divgikar
- Sushant Divgikar is an Indian transgender model, singer, actor, beauty pageant director, and Industrial psychologist.
- During his/her school days, he/she participated in swimming competitions and won various state level and national level swimming competitions. He/She was also the sports captain in his/her school.
- During his/her teens, Sushant realised that he/she is gay, and later, identified himself/herself as gender fluid. During an interview, he talked about his/her sexual orientation. He/She said,
I had to come out to all of you about my gender identity because it was giving me a lot of anxiety and, a lot of times, I just couldn’t cope with it. I realised it’s best I put it out there. Just to clarify, I have realised that I cannot be bound to only one gender. I am the synergy of both! I love my male as much as I love my female. I am Shiv as well as Shakti and the synergy of both energies. This is different from my orientation. I will always be attracted to men. It’s just that my gender identity is not just male! I am a non-binary person! I feel majorly relieved.”
- He/She started his career as a model and appeared in many print advertisements and TV commercials such as Maruti Suzuki and Idea Mobiles.
- He/She has also walked the ramp for many Indian fashion shows.
Sushant Divgikar walking the ramp in a fashion show
- He/She participated in the Mr Gay India competition in 2014, and he/she won the title.
Sushant Divgikar Mr Gay India 2014
- He/She then represented India at Mr Gay World competition. In the sub contest of Mr Gay World, he/she won Mr Gay World Congeniality, Mr People’s Choice, and Mr Gay World Art. He/She finished among the top 10 finalists.
Sushant Divgikar in Mr Gay World
- Sushant has worked as a TV host/VJ in a few TV shows like ‘Atyachaar Ka Punchnama’ (2012), ‘Style Police’ (2012), and’ Bindaas Video Wars’ (2012).
- He/She has also participated in a few Hindi TV shows like ‘Big Switch 3’ (2013), ‘Welcome– Baazi Mehmaan Nawazi Ki’ (2013), ‘Bigg Boss 8’ (2014), and ‘Sa Re Ga Ma Pa’ (2018).
Sushant Divgikar in Bigg Boss 8
- He/She acted in the Hindi web series ‘101 India’ (2017).
- He/She performed as a drag artist for the first time in the theatre play ‘Merchant of Venice’ directed by Vikram Kapadia. He/She was then invited to host various national and international drag events where he was spotted by the Indian entrepreneur Ishaan Sethi. Sethi then talked about Sushant with the executive director of Lalit Hospitality Group Keshav Suri. Suri asked Sushant to perform at his nightclub KittySu in New Delhi along with the drag queen Violet Chachki. His/Her performance was appreciated by the audience, and he/she then decided to adopt the drag queen avatar Rani Ko-HE-Nur. During an interview, Sushant shared his childhood memory when he used to dress up like a girl. He/She said,
As a child, I always loved to dress up. I’ve always been fascinated with make-up, accessories and fabulous costumes. I would participate in fancy dress competitions and always dress like a mermaid or Madhuri Dixit; once I even dressed up as Tina Turner. I always enjoyed playing female characters because they had so much depth and character. But back then, I never knew what drag was. As I grew older, I started reading about it and observed other drag artists from around the world and knew this is what I wanted to do!”
A collage of Sushant Divgikar aka Rani KoHEnur
I created this avatar because I wanted people to understand that drag is performance art, and it is not just cross dressing. I’m gender fluid, hence the name, because Rani is a queen but Ko-He-nur has a he in it. In drag, a man — gay, straight, transgender or bisexual — can perform as a woman which includes wearing predominantly hyper-effeminate clothes, exaggerated make-up and wigs. Drag can also be performed by women — lesbian, straight, trans or bisexual — who dress up and perform as male characters. Gender fluid people also do drag — our first solo performing drag king is Durga Gawde, who goes by the stage name Shakti.”
- He/She is India’s first drag queen to perform with Condé Nast, a renowned global media company.
- Sushant did not have any formal training in singing. In his/her teens, he/she used to practice Asha Bhosle’s song ‘Piya Tu Ab Toh Aaja’ from the Hindi film ‘Caravan’ (1971).
- In 2021, he/she participated in the drag queen singing television series ‘Queen of the Universe.’ In the show, he/she sang the songs like “Piya Tu Ab To Aja”, “Laila Main Laila,” and “My Heart Will Go On.”
- He/She did not have any formal training in singing. He/She has lent his/her voice for various songs like “Damn That Man” (2021), and ‘3 Devi’ title track (Kannada; 2021).
- He/She has uploaded many Hindi cover songs on his/her self-titled YouTube channel. In 2022, he/she started a YouTube series ‘Main Bhi Rani with Sushant Divgikar’ in which he/she shares the conversation with various transgender people.
- He/She is an active LGBTQ activist and has been working for the rights of the community. He/She has also participated in various LGBTQ parades to bring awareness among the people. During an interview, while talking about the community, he/she said,
I consider Hijra icons Gauri Sawant, Laxmi Narayan Tripathi and many others, to be their spiritual gurus. I don’t have to be from their community to feel a familial bond with them. That’s the beauty of it all, of being part of this community. When I talk about minorities, I have to talk about Hijras, Dalits, as well as sexual, gender, and even religious ones, because our struggles intersect. Why are we even having to ask for equal rights in a democracy?”
Sushant Divgikar in the LGBTQ parade
- Sushant is a dog lover and owns a pet dog.
Sushant Divgikar with his pet dog
- He/She is a religious person and is an ardent devotee of Lord Ganesha.
Sushant Divgikar with an idol of Lord Ganesha
- He/She has been featured on the cover of various renowned magazines such as Cosmopolitan and Rolling Stone.
Sushant Divgikar featured in a magazine
- He/She consumes alcohol occasionally.
Sushant Divgikar at his home
- He/She has been felicitated at various events for his contribution to the LGBTQ community.
Sushant Divgikar being felicitated at an event
- In an interview, Sushant talked about once being in depression. He/She said,
I was bullied on the sets of a show. I used to feel depressed and harassed. At that time my family and friends supported me. My family is my biggest strength and they have been very supportive of whatever I do. I am privileged to come from a broad-minded and progressive family. They don’t discriminate on the basis of gender, religion, caste or creed. There are a lot of people who say one thing and do the exact opposite. My parents have taught us to treat everyone with love and respect regardless of who they are and where they come from. I think every family should be like mine. They supported me during my tough times. Also, the Indian model Diandra was a great support.”
|↑2||YouTube- Sushant Divgikar|
|↑3||Facebook- Sushant Divgikar|
|↑4||The Voice of Fashion|
|↑7||The Times of India|